Metro Ethernet provides a flexible, scalable, and cost-effective alternative to private lines, frame relay, and Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) connectivity solutions for WAN. Syndeo's Metro Ethernet offerings include connectivity services, as well as Ethernet access services such as high-speed Internet access and IP virtual private networks (VPNs). Depending on the architecture and implementation, Metro Ethernet services can meet enterprise service-level agreement (SLA) requirements to support mission-critical data, voice, video, and storage networking. As the service supports interworking, businesses can continue to use their existing Frame Relay/ATM service where appropriate, and selectively deploy Ethernet where high-bandwidth, flexible connectivity is required.
- Scalable WAN bandwidth and "any-to-any" connectivity also enables IT to implement advanced business applications by converging voice, video, and data transport over a single network.
- Metro Ethernet services, it is easier to implement initiatives like business continuity, storage virtualization, and grid computing that require scalable connectivity between data centers.
- High bandwidth wide-area networking enables consolidation of servers and storage resources, which results in improved asset utilization and lower overall cost.
- Redundancy: Redundancy, where mission-critical components and functions are duplicated, is the surest path to system reliability.
- Port Mirroring: Port mirroring is another advanced feature of intelligent switches. It sends data from one switch port to be sent to a monitoring port at another switch. It's used for detecting intrusions or network diagnostics.
- IGMP: Internet Group Management Protocol or IGMP capability allows a switch to "listen in" on network multicasts. The switch then delivers traffic to ports where the attached device signals it's available to listen to the broadcast.
- Flexibility and Future Expansion: Network change and expansion is easier with industrial anaged switches.